- Constitutes an integral part of humanitarian action.
- Should be context-specific and, when possible, evidence based, and should target the full range of stakeholders, including governments, policymakers, international organizations and non-governmental entities.
- Should be based on the Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women and other international legal instruments, peace agreements, and other commitments made by governments and nongovernmental entities.
- Yields the best results when undertaken on a collective basis and in partnership with others.
- Leads to specific actions targeted to attract greater political, human and financial support; facilitates better humanitarian access; promotes adherence to international laws and standards; and leads to accountability for perpetrators of child rights violations. In a humanitarian situation, the absence of advocacy may have a direct impact on the ability of UNICEF and its partners to deliver services.
UNICEF, in collaboration with its partners, will take due account of the possible adverse effects of engaging in advocacy strategies on staff security, country programmes and vulnerable populations." (CCC, 2010)
Policy and Standards
Guidelines and Tools
|Plan of Action for Humanitarian Advocacy Template, UNICEF 2012||Checklist for Humanitarian Advocacy, UNICEF 2011||Advocacy Priorities Template, UNICEF, 2012||UNICEF Advocacy Toolkit, UNICEF, 2010||Monitoring and Evaluating Advocacy: Companion to the Advocacy Toolkit, UNICEF, 2010||Saving Lives, Protecting Children: Advocacy in Emergencies, UNICEF, 2008|
- Synthesis Report, Analytical Review of Current Humanitarian Advocacy Practices in UNICEF UNICEF, 2011
- Comparison Paper: Organizational Approaches to Humanitarian Advocacy UNICEF 2011
- Gaza Offensive, 2008-2009, Case Study UNICEF, 2011 (requires Intranet access)
- Haiti Earthquake, 2010, Case Study UNICEF, 2011 (requires Intranet access)
- Niger, Food Crisis 2010, Case Study UNICEF, 2011 (requires Intranet access)
- Pakistan, Floods 2010, Case Study UNICEF, 2011 (requires Intranet access)
- Sudan, Expulsion of NGOs 2009, Case Study UNICEF, 2011 (requires Intranet access)
- Advocacy Case Studies, Naik, Asmita, UNICEF, 2006 (requires Intranet access)